`A bridge too far` Dakota

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 4 months

Hi folks

In August of 1976 I saw a C-47 at Blackbushe marked as KG736.I think it was involved in the film.Can anyone tie up this serial to a specific airframe?

The real KG736 was w/o in 1945.

Thanks in advance.

GarethS

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

There were twelve C-47's involved in the film, three from Denmark, four from Finland and five from Portugal. All I can find so far!:)

Member for

17 years 4 months

I was involved (as a military meteorologist) in the making of the parachute scenes for the film "A Bridge Too Far". I confirm the Finnish and Danish C-47 (or whatever) contribution. They were both exceptionally good and highly professional! The other C-47's were cobbled together from a variety of sources. I cannot confirm the Portugese registered airframes. What I do know is that some of the non-Danish/Finnish C-47's were known by the elements of UK 16 Para Bde paratroops actually doing the drops as "Jam Butty Airlines". Some of the airframes had been retreived/recruited from as far away as Djibouti (thus the Para's humour!). Some of those airframes were in such a parlous state that as the Grunts shuffled their way to the exit, and sought to steady themselves against the pitching of the aircraft by putting their hands on the inside of the fuselage skin their hands went straight through!!!
HTH
Peter Davies

Member for

17 years 4 months

Answering my own question and credit to AI April 1977

`KG736` was N9984Q ex 6153 Portuguese AF

Thanks for the replies guys

GarethS

Member for

19 years 4 months

CIVIL DAKOTAS IN PORTUGAL & COLONIES

C-53D-DO
CS-TDE
42-68748
02/59
Ex-USAF
FAP 6153, N9984Q
TAP

Must be one of those resurrected ones as it was supposed to be written off in February 1959!;)